Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sharing Sundays... THE LIFE THAT I LIVE... everyday musings.



I'm pretty excited to share this feature with you! Meet Justin of The Life That I Live. I'm excited because he's my real life dear friend and i've always loved his writing style. 

first, i'm pretty sad that the only photo of us is a bad cell phone pic from a halloween party in 2008. (he was poncho villa and i was the cheshire cat) but it makes me laugh and you can see how close we have always been. 

And because this is a special feature, i decided to do a q&a with him so you'd get to see for yourself how funny and enjoyable he is. 


1. what are four random things about you? 

I always used to hate this question because I never had anything interesting to say. I've been working on that:

1. I have Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. I shouldn't play the ace right away, but the rabbit sometimes seems to be too big for the hat. My lung also collapsed twice when I was in high school. I had to have surgery the second time, which left some scars on the side of my chest. Scarchest doesn't really sound cool so it never garnered any interest from Hollywood. Ironically, I never get sick and I've never had the flu. Reverse lottery baby!

2. I never use straws. I can't think of a worse way to drink of a beverage. The thing about taking a drink of something is that it should be rewarding. I shouldn't have to worry about a) sucking up liquid b) dealing with the bottom of the straw getting stuck to an ice cube and the problem that presents, or c) having a straw stuck in my mouth for a minute while trying to hydrate. I'll have plenty of time for straws when I'm 90.

3. I eat my fries and tater tots with mustard. I thought this was normal and standard protocol for the longest time. I'm talking until I was in my mid twenties. Now, asking for mustard with my fries seems like I'm talking to the department of defense about nuclear secrets. I usually only get one or two packets when I need like nine or ten. To go along with the food theme, I don't like cold onions, but I like onion rings. I could explain to waiters the physics of a black hole and feel better about the way they look at me then when I place an order like that. I need to find a support group soon. That's what this q&a is all about.

4. I used to hate writing. English was my least favorite subject. Now I can't get enough of it. I wish I could go back and do it all over again because now I second guess my ability to write all of the time.

5. BONUS FACTS! I'm an awesome parallel parker. I don't have the patience to drive an ice cream truck. I have a 3 yr old brother. I have a 6 month old nephew. I love sports. I played football and baseball. I can't remember the last time I tied my shoes. My favorite ice cream is Rocky Road. And I'm shy. I hope you like me.


2. what can people expect to find on your blog? 

Ten years ago, I started observational writing. I even published and maintained a website of random, thoughtful, funny observations that I came across on occasion. I started a blog as a cheap and easy way to do this thing I grew to enjoy. So you'll find some of that there. Randomness. When I was diagnosed with Leukemia, I noticed the hesitancy for people to bring it up in conversation. Naturally, a lot of people don't really know whether it would be appropriate to bring it up. I wanted to be honest and open about that as well, so some of my blog takes on more of that aspect of my life. I write what I feel I'd want to know about if I didn't have CML (and to keep others updated). So it's a mixture of the serious and not so serious. Thanks to Marianne, a couple of older blog posts {here and here} even made it to Midwestern State University's school paper.

3. favorite film?

Polaroid. The instant kind that you have to shake right after you take a picture.

Just kidding. I know what you mean. I'm not sure what my favorite movie is. I'm one of those people that has like a list of 20 or so movies that I call my favorite, and they're all over the map. I'll name 6 that stick with me (in no particular order): The Sandlot, Crash, Shawshank Redemption, Jerry McGuire, American History X, The Departed, Training Day

4. describe your muse (sorry ladies, he's taken... but you'll adore his girlfriend too)


I'm a lucky guy to be dating Katie. She came into my life at a time when I was at a bad place, where I was entirely selfish and rough around the edges. Her ability to communicate and challenge me in areas I wasn't aware needed to be challenged has made me a better person and I'm forever grateful for that. Her free spirit has given perspective and encouragement to my soul. She has been my biggest ally on this journey I've had to endure. She blogs at midnightloveriot.blogspot.com so go check it out! And then encourage her to blog more. She will be studying abroad in India next semester and I'm hoping that she records her journey through her words. She's such a talented writer.

5. if you were stranded on the LOST island (please say you were a fan of that show!) what 3 things would you take with you?

I never actually watched that show. Not one episode, believe it or not. Maybe I should have put that in my 4 random things answer. But if I was stranded on an island, I'd take:

1) My bible - to see what all I'd have to do to a) experience a burning bush or b) find my way off of the island. The Old Testament would serve as my bedtime stories.

2) A survival book - because I have never seen lost, survivor, or anything else requiring extended time on a desolate island. And because I swear I'd eat the wrong berry on the first day. My luck isn't the thing to rely on. Otherwise, I'm burying myself in the sand and calling it a life.

3) Something to write in/a few boxes on pens - I'm sure I'd enjoy complaining about the bugs and how much of a beating it would be to survive. I'd be known as the grumpiest survivor ever recorded.

Hopefully, that would cement my legacy.


6. and just because it's fun i get to feature someone i actually know, favorite memory of us?

We have a lot of good memories from our friendship, many involving nights out with our group of friends, listening to live music. However, my favorite memory was when you and Jarrod Owen walked down the street to my house and convinced me to join the fun ya'll were having at your coworkers house (who lived at the other end of the block). We teamed up in beer pong and held our own! It was such a fun night.

_________________

yes it was Justin! i would give you a bouquet of mustard packets for sharing yourself on my dolce vita. 

please, go and say hi to my awesome friend :


7 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

So sweet. I've already visited him thanks to you. :) I couldn't agree more about straws. When I was a kid, a waitress at my dad's restaurant told me that they were terrible for the environment, and I've never used straws since then. haha. And I'd challenge Justin on parallel parking--pretty sure no one can outdo me! :)

xoxo

i said someday.... said...

I love the Q&A!! You should do that more often!!
Cute idea.

Justin Ozuna said...

Wow, this is by far the best blog that you have ever written. I'm so impressed!

Thanks again for sharing your space with me Micaela. I've always admired the creativity and effort you put into your blog posts. I go to your blog and see all of these neat things you make and give away, and then I always end up apologizing to my blog for the abundance of plain text.

It was fun!

p.s. Parallel parking challenge accepted Claire. Although, this was recorded of me a few years ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n14MBAd3R8&feature=related)

CarrieMarie said...

haha! this was fun, i agree w/ stephanie that you should do it more often! i'm off to check out the blogs. and oh, he shouldn't feel alone ... i, too, hate cold onions but love onion rings. : )

Summer Athena said...

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY GIRL! Happy Happy Happy! Much love to you and sissy today!

PS - heading over to check him out now.

Faiza said...

happy birthday sweet micaela!

justin is hilarity. i just viisted his blog and laughed so hard at him carrying a grenade to call bruno mars out! HA!

i love straws and am curretnly trying to find the ones orpah uses that are stainless steel and better for the environment...

giddynici said...

This is a lovely feature, you should definitely do this again. Very interesting to find out about people in your life and especially their blogging. Will be checking out both blogs. x

Related Posts with Thumbnails