Saturday, July 9, 2011

my last five.

if you asked me to take down the last five books i've read, these are the ones i'd grab for you off my bookshelf.
my idea of the perfect summer read : light (meaning i  finished this in a weekend), funny, and touching. i loved "something borrowed" but i have to admit... i almost loved this one more. 

there is nothing like british humor (think nick hornby). i was so glad M told me about this one, especially before the film version comes out. Marianne just finished reading it and we swooned in the middle of the night (because she couldn't put it down either and stayed up reading) discussing dex and em.  

this was the first book for the summer book club. that's the beauty about book clubs; you'll read a book you probably wouldn't have noticed/picked up in the first place. i think we all agreed that we were in love with the idea of this book {though when i was googling for a book cover image, the movie looks pretty steamy! may have to hunt it down...}.

another recommendation by my bestie (she has the best taste in books/film/music). And as i kind of joked about above, lately i've been reading books turned into films so i can compare the two. this one is a winner both ways. (and i do a lot of my reading paired with a bubble bath, apparently)

what i'm currently reading. [again, i thought the movie version was beautiful] that i have been wanting to  get the book in my lap all these years. And then like a sign i found it in a used book shop


i'm three days late with Meghan's Top 5 Thursday link-up but i had to do this one. i love books. in fact, you can add these two from the book swap to my summer reading.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I've only read the first book in your post, and I have to tell you I loved both of them too! Keep reading Emily Giffin, they only keep getting better!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

I stayed up until well past 2 last night, reading. The book is called Room. It's disturbing but lovely. I am hopeful for a happy(ish) ending... Alan's keeping the boys busy and bringing me tea in bed so I can finish it this morning (and catch up on my blog reading!)

One day let's hang out and have our very own book club meeting, shall we?
xoxo

Unknown said...

I love these! I'm looking forward to reading Something Blue since I was always a big Darcy fan. I just bought One Day and I'm hoping to start it next week. Wide Sargasso Sea and Love in the Time of Cholera are two of my favorites!

Micaela said...

E, i'm intrigued by "Room." Husband is reading "The Collector" which i read a few months ago... talk about disturbing but interesting. It's supposed to be a book that a lot of serial killers reference... crazy!

yes, let's have our book club meeting for sure :)

Leanna, you'll LOVE "something blue"-- reading it reminded me so much of my past self lol so i have to say it made me into a Darcy fan too! i can't wait to hear what you think!

mia said...

I loved Wide Sargasso Sea and One Day as well... But I've been meaning to read Love in the Time of Cholera for ageees! How serendipitous that you found it like that!

Meghan said...

I love your list and look forward to picking up your recommendations. It is evident that you love "love", my dear, and that makes me smile!

Claire Kiefer said...

I was doing so much better with reading before I discovered SOA. What a (delightful) interruption that was. I'm excited to read Something Blue, but not till I finish the two books I'm reading now! I think it's so adorable that Marianne stays up all night reading--I wish I could do that! I just fall asleep (and then wake up several times in the night with insomnia, ugh). I have so much free time this weekend that I don't know what to do with myself and really just wish you were here with me!

April said...

I love reading, but I just haven't been doing myself any justice lately. I watch the Sopranos instead of reading before I go to sleep. Bad April! :( lol I'm trying to finish the last Harry Potter before the movie!

Sarah said...

I'm reading a book called The Dog's purpose right now.. about halfway through. Being a pup mom like myself, I think you'd enjoy it. Its described as a cross between Tuesday's with Morrie & Marley & Me. I'll have to check out the ones on your list. there's nothing better than a summer night, a good book & a nice glass of vino :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful. have you ever read a diary for nicholas?! it is beautiful and SUCH an easy read. i bawled my eyes out at the end, i definitely recommend it to you my darling.

:: Lavender's Green :: said...

Ooh, great reads!

My latest reads have been The Hunger Games series, Another Woman's Husband (which I didn't like), and now The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve!

x Jasmine

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

emily giffin, what what! she's one of my favorites, although i have to be honest, her newest book is terrible, and this is coming from her #1 fan!

i just finished the thorn birds which is one of my all time favorites, and now i'm working on push not the river. oh how i love reading!

xoxoxo!

Related Posts with Thumbnails