Friday, May 15, 2009

Happens Every Day

It took me literally a day to read this memoir by Isabel Gillies. To be fair, I couldn't wait to read it after seeing this promising preview in my February issue of Vogue. I had been waiting to get my hands on it since.

It's hard to imagine that our hearts are capable of walking away from the fairy tale life we have. This book is her very personal intimate account of that very heart ache. It was painful to read, both physically and emotionally, she shared her story so well. But it also filled me with hope:

"Daddy looked over my shoulder, put his hand on my head, and said,"Wanna hear something famous that Adlai Stevenson once said about Eleanor Roosevelt at her funeral?"

"Yeah," I said.

He said that she was the kind of person who would rather light a candle than curse the darkness.

It has become my motto. "


She spoke about the only poems she's ever recognized as sublime, one he had given her at the start of their love affair. It's a John Ashbery poem called "At North Farm."

"Somewhere someone is traveling furiously toward you,
At incredible speed, traveling day and night,
Through blizzards and desert heat, across torrents,
through narrow passes.

But he will know where to find you,
Recognize you when he sees you.
"

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails