Monday, August 10, 2009

"A Soaring Celebration of the victory of Love over Time."


Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you.

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by your heart.
Take down the love letters from your bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.


-Derek Walcott



5 days and counting lovies. FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH. I can not wait for this movie. I've been waiting forever and a day.

i got this book December of 2004 from my dear friend Ryan. He said it sounded like me, knowing my love for all things time travel/tragic-yet-meant-to-be love.

How right he was.

Everyone I have ever cared for has read this book because i believe in its story so passionately. I had never read anything like it. I was enchanted. I remember re-reading it again for the upteenth time, and my then bf hadn't given in to my pleas to read it yet. I remember it was close to the end of the book and i was about to get ready to sleep. He read me the last pages and he cried {without even reading the beginning. He did after that.} He called me his time traveler wife.

in a later relationship... i remember a break-up where he had told me he wanted so badly to be my Henry, but looking back, he knew all along he was Gomez.

this book has meant so much to me. I love it so. as do many of you, so i know you share my excitement for Friday. To celebrate this long-awaited movie, i will share passages from the pages of Audrey Niffenegger every day this week. I can't wait to hear your favorite pieces, like this one and this one, from two of my absolute fave girls.

what better way than to start at the beginning.
What a lovely opening by Walcott, agreed?

*pics via niotillfem.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh m... u truly know my heart...
it's crazy!
i too am counting the days... wish we could go together!!!
xoxo
m

Annie said...

i H.A.V.E. to read this book!!
i feel like the only one who hasn't!
the movie looks so very good!

VanessasRunway said...

so in love with this post! Great pictures. The fiance & I have a special date this Friday to go see the movie! Why oh why does the commercial make me teary-eyed?! I can ONLY imagine how I'll be at the movie theater...lol

Micaela said...

M, i sooo wish we could see it together!!! i can't wait to discuss it with you.

Annie, maybe you're picking it up at the exact right time so you can watch the film, and then go back and read it. Let me know what you think when you get around to reading it please! :) i can send you my copy!!!

Vanessa, i'm making the boy take me as well :) I made him read it (of course!) I'll tell him, look you're not the only boy being dragged... vanessa's fiance took her, so think of them in Cali! lol {I'm joking darling friend!!!} I'm sure you and Mike will have a wonderful time on your special date! don't you love date night?

Morgan said...

I already was dying to read this book but this post made me want to read it even more!

Micaela said...

Morgan you will love it. Please let me know what you think when you get around to it xo

ps. sorry about your cavity :(

Related Posts with Thumbnails