Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I think I was a Kennedy in another life...

I wanted to share a pretty excerpt from the book I just finished, the lovely memoir I can't stop thinking about, "What Remains."

If you go down to the woods today,
You're sure of a big surprise.
If you go down to the woods today,
You'd better go in disguise.
For every bear that ever there was
Will gather there for certain because
Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic.

They sing softly, this children's song, with their hands clasped like little boys. They sing it over and over, John holding tightly on to Anthony's hand. They are in a place that no one else has ever been or could ever go, signing a song that John's mother used to sing to the two of them. The boys who laughed and played and sang silly songs are all grown up now--- John in a tuxedo, Anthony in a hospital gown.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails