Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"days of laughter, nights of sighing" - Okkervil River

i had a boyfriend in college named camron.
he was the editor of our college newspaper.
he was the skinniest boy i've ever dated.

his cat named shrinkle was the only cat i ever loved.
in fact, i watched her while he was out of town.
i felt so grown up.

our first date was a nap in bed on an early saturday morning.
he didn't even kiss me until awhile after that.

he wanted to write me a love letter on yellow legal paper for every day that we were apart, until i came back to him.

i can't remember when he stopped.

he gave me a cd and introduced me to bands i had never heard of and love to this day- Death Cab For Cutie, Bright Eyes, Azure Ray, and Okkervil River.

Especially Okkervil River's "Main Island Lovers." The song haunted me from the very first time i heard it. His voice is dark / sad / raw & even moreso when you know what the lyrics are about. Two people meeting up for a lost weekend; one knows they're going to end it... the other does not.


the end gets me every time.



have a listen... i hope this link works.


4 comments:

Manju said...

that's the sweetest story :)
i'm going to check out that song

xxx

Marisa said...

death cab for cutie is one of my favs... i have seen them live, and they are amazing.

i had never heard of Okkervil River...

"If you really want to love me, well then do it"

wow

Marisa said...

PS
You know when you are reading something and all of a sudden there is line thrown in there that just makes your heart swell.

"he wanted to write me a love letter on yellow legal paper for every day that we were apart, until i came back to him."

"i can't remember when he stopped."

there you have it...
your words move me.

Micaela said...

M, i've always wanted to see Death Cab live. There song "Transatlanticism" is my fave.

thanks for that compliment on my writing- it means ever so much.
sometimes it's good to reflect, isn't it? i had kinda forgotten about that blimp in my life, until i heard that song and it brought me back.

"If you really want to love me, well then do it."- yes wow. just perfect.

Related Posts with Thumbnails