Thursday, September 17, 2009

"I want you to get into the deep beautiful melancholy of everything that's happened."

I think some of the greatest movie scripts ever written was "Elizabethtown." Here are some of my faves:

Drew Baylor: Because we have a moment here, let me tell you that I have recently become a secret connoisseur of 'last looks'. You know the way people look at you when they believe it's for the last time? I've started collecting these looks.

Claire Colburn: Sadness is easier because its surrender. I say make time to dance alone with one hand waving free. {last night, amid boxes and with my equally depressed dog- i danced with one hand free. It may have been with tear-stained cheeks and wine in my system, but i remembered this line.}

Jessie Baylor: This loss will be met with a hurricane of love.


Sometimes we are faced with a frustrating moment and life's problems seem overwhelming. You feel like a failure. It can seem so consuming. Lovies, if you are ever feeling that way, I suggest you watch this movie. Elizabethtown.

Because as Kirsten Dunst's character says in this really lovely piece of cinema:

Claire Colburn: So you failed. Alright you really failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You think I care about that? I do understand. You wanna be really great? Then have the courage to fail big and stick around. Make them wonder why you're still smiling.



Lately, i've been filled with guilt. absolute shame. sadness.

but somewhere deep inside of even me is courage.

14 comments:

Krissa said...

I am ashamed to admit that i have never seen this movie...and I am convinced I need too...Love that last quote...really gets you thinking...thanks for posting it!

xoxo

Laura C said...

I love this movie and Claire's character! Thanks for the good quotes.

And I'm glad you know that you have that courage. Sometimes we're blind to our own strengths, but that doesn't mean they aren't still there.

Marisa said...

i sware m - it gets scarier and scarier. i own this movie and have watched it several times... rewinding over and over so that i could write the quotes down just right... i have never met anyone who liked it before.

you are very courageous...
like our dear friend Meg wrote in one of her posts.

“This is the year I am failing. For the first time in my life. I am failing brilliantly and freely and nothing has ever been so exciting”

Marisa said...

Claire:
"Most of the sex I've had in my life was not as personal as that kiss."

meg fee said...

you are so strong. so, so very strong. and brave and honest. i'm thinking of you.

Jessica Coody said...

I watched this two days ago :) I watch it about once every 3 or 4 months, and I always wish I could be more like Claire.

Love you!!

Micaela said...

M, we are truly more alike then anyone else I've ever known- and it means something more because we haven't met met yet. i haven't met anyone else who liked it either!!! and what a great quote that you chose. because isn't that the truth?

thank-you for that reminder of meg's post. Oh i love this blog community... i feel so much more less alone.

thank-you, thank-you, thank-you girls xo

ps. Krissa, you must see it!!!! save it for a rainy night at the least. Let me know what you think.

Micaela said...

J, you are more like Claire than you know.

don't you love the part where they stay up talking on the phone? and meet at sunrise?

love you!

Anonymous said...

i wont lie, i wasnt a huge fan when i first watched but i'll watch it again because dancing with one free hand waiving free sounds fabulous. keep your chin up lady! people love you!

Blicious said...

such a cute picture!

Carlito86 said...

When I watched this film I actually watched it three times in a row. I have it on DVD too but haven't seen it in a while xx

Anonymous said...

I love this movie and can't stop watching it recently. So depressed. Thanks for this post.

The last 14 minutes of Elizabethtown are absolute perfection. I'm just about to reach those last 14 minutes (it's at the "Free Bird / bird on fire" scene right now).

-Chris Caulder
www.musicfilmbookslife.org
www.youtube.com/chriscauldermusic

Micaela said...

Chris, you are more than welcome. I was depressed when I wrote it. I'm glad you found your way to this post for that reason.

ps. "i work for the universe..."

i don't think i will forget that either.

thank-you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I stumbled on your blog! (Google search for Elizabethtown) It's one of my favorite movies ever in the world and it's so underappreciated. There are so many glowing moments. I love Kirsten's character, the dark humor, the scenery, and oh god the music. It's romantic but not cheesy. Plus I feel so close to Claire in so many ways. Love love :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails